With the Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) process it is possible to build objects in 17-4 PH Steel.
Cobalt-Chrome and Titanium alloys, directly from CAD file without the use of machining.
The parts are produced in only a few hours, layer by layer, through local melting of metal powders to allow the construction of shapes with a layer thickness up to 20 micron.
Utilizing the Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) system allows for the creation of complex metal shapes and opens the avenue for increased productivity.
The advantages of Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) process are:
- Objects are created by an easy and completely automatic procedure – there are no secondary treatments to infiltrate the parts and this avoids the problem of distortion or warping the shape of the part in a kiln
- The technology allows the creation of very complex geometries that cannot be produced by machining – examples include deep cavities integrated with cooling channels and extractors, even in narrow spaces
- Parts can be finished with conventional polishing techniques, precision turning, welding or even laser welding and traditional mold creation techniques (milling cutter and EDM) and generic mechanic manufacturing
The sectors that mostly appreciate the advantages of Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) are:
- Aerospace and aeronautic
- Biomedical (low to medium production quantities customized)
- Motorsport (different solutions have been adopted successfully for racing applications in frame construction to reduce the weight both exploiting complex geometries and high performance materials)
In CRP Meccanica Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) the complete elimination of tooling and patterns warehouse is guaranteed by short time in the costruction of metal sintered parts.